Thursday, January 3, 2013

[Review] Speechless by Hannah Harrington


Author:
Hannah Harrington
Publication (dd/mm/yyyy): 28/08/2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 268
Source: For review


Violence Sexual ContentProfanity

My Rating:
Inspired

Summary:
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret.

Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast - and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence - to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting everyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.

But there's strength in silence, and in new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way. People she never noticed before. A boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.


My thoughts


As SPEECHLESS involves a vow of silence, and it’s been ages since I read this and only had a small list written up about it, I’ll keep this review short and simple.




Hannah Harrington’s debut novel (SAVING JUNE) was such a memorable contemporary YA debut novel of 2011 that I was just so excited to read more from her. SPEECHLESS is bold and powerful. Harrington delivers a strong message wrapped in an entertaining story, its truthfulness running through and through.
 
1) We are presented with an unlikeable, shallow character who falls from popularity. She's a sympathetic character and likeable as she goes through changes and develops. Chelsea Knot is akin to the likes of Sam (Before I Fall) and Cady (Mean Girls), just to name a few.

2) I didn't want to say goodbye to the characters. I want more, though I know that's not going to happen. (I’ll definitely have to give this a re-read sooner than later… I kind of miss them.)

3) The power of words.

4) The effects of bullying. I also think Harrington brought many different aspects to the fore that might otherwise not be acknowledged as bullying, like being a passive by-stander as Chelsea was at the beginning.

5) There are slivers of GLBT in this book. Which surprised me, but I thought Harrington represented different sexualities in a way that felt right.

6) The vow of silence. It just really pronounced the importance of words. I liked that there was an absence of the main character’s spoken word but we still knew her thoughts throughout. And then there were the moments when she really wanted to speak out or say something, but couldn’t because of it. The moment when she finally breaks the vow was so, so beautiful.

7) Dorky love interest. Come on.

8) SPEECHLESS is sectioned off by days, instead of chapters.


Trailer





Buy




I have received this review copy in return for an honest review.



Related Posts with Thumbnails