Thursday, September 21, 2017

[Review] Flying Through Clouds by Michelle Morgan

Add to Goodreads

Publication02/04/2017
Publisher: Self-published
Pages: 246
Source: Author for review
Genre: Middle Grade

Violence | Sexual Content | Profanity

My Rating
3/5
My thoughts

Firstly, I should express my gratitude to Michelle Morgan for graciously sending me a copy of Flying Through Clouds for review. I was initially drawn in by the cover, historical aspects, male POV and the fact that it is Aussie YA. Sadly, however, it never fully clicked with me and it was only my sense of obligation that had me see this through to the end. Despite my saying that, I do think that with the right demographic, this book could be a winner; it certainly did have lovely moments.


Flying Through Clouds is set in 1930s Sydney where we follow 13-year-old Joe's actualisation and pursuit of his newfound dream - to fly. Inspired by an impressive demonstration by famed pilot Smithy at the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Joe writes a plan, to make his dream a reality.

I think this book would be better suited for middle-grade readers, the writing style was quite juvenile; there was an abundance of short sentences and telling rather than showing. I also felt like the slower pacing let the story drag, and I'll admit it, I was bored. Even during the 'exciting' parts, I just couldn't bring myself to care.

Joe is possibly a regular kid growing up in that time period, but I had trouble connecting with him, or any of the other characters. The only one I found slightly interesting was his older sister; if this book were about her I'm sure I would have liked it far better. And I suppose that's the crux of the matter: this book was not a book written for me. He seemed very single-minded and quite foolish at times, too. And very upfront with his thoughts, like he would say everything outright, even the secret stuff. Never seen a teenage boy act that way before, personally.. He also enters a relationship with the girl he follows home from school every day. It's kind of creepy, and something I don't care to discuss more about.

I do believe that the historical aspects were portrayed well, and I did like that we were able to see what Sydney life was like back in those days. I liked seeing all the location name drops, and even the plane jargon seemed to be well-researched.

Buy

AUSTRALIA: Booktopia



INTERNATIONAL: Book Depository


I have received this review copy in return for an honest review.




Related Posts with Thumbnails