Sunday, February 24, 2013

My Books in Colour (10) ~ birthday haul!


MBiC is a fortnightly (*ahem*) post book haul feature inspired by Kristi (The Story Siren) and Alea (Pop Culture Junkie). I love looking at book covers, and especially their colours, and that is where the idea to feature my new arrivals by their spines in accordance to their shade comes from.

~~~~~

24th of February 2013 ~ Notes

Oh geez. I'm wait too lazy to try and colour-coordinate this haul so I'll just throw it all at you. I got some very exciting titles. I'm trying to be more eclectic in my reading, as is evident in my more recent book hauls. More on the way is a pile of classics. It's kind of strange how now that I'm out of high school and no longer have to write essays on books I'm actually just always excited about reading. Sorry guys, I'm lagging behind on my reviewing. I've just got to get back into a rhythm and I'm just not finding it right now. My birthday giveaway is on for another day. Go enter!


Note: All release dates are in the format (dd/mm/yyyy), click on images to zoom in, all book links go to Goodreads.

* = Up for swap



For Review

Thanks to...
Bloomsbury, Hachette, Pan Macmillan, Penguin and Simon & Schuster!



I've got Scarlet right up on my TBR. Been so excited for it. Just reacquainting myself with the world by reading the novella additions. I'm planning on reading The Host for March (my brick of the month). Freaks Like Us and Anthem for Jackson Dawes will be worked in sometime soon. I really like the sound of both. Hidden isn't normally... I have a hard time trusting angel books. But after reading the story of the author I just have to give it a try now. Song in the Dark is very short so I'll be trying that one soon too.


Boy, are these covers shiny! Also, the covers are already starting to curl up. That really grinds my gears. I seriously thought they were erotica, but then, it's New Adult so in my ignorant way I'm going to say, 'Well, heh, not much difference, now is there?' Ha. In actuality they deal with abuse and tough issues... meaning it will be a while before I'm up to picking these up. I'm kind of stoked about Girl Defective. Aussie author. I sampled and it seems good. And the book FEELS good. So smooth!

Edit: I woke up this morning and looked at my nightstand. I FORGOT ONE BOOK because I'm reading it now! That is Shadow and Bone/Siege & Storm by Leigh Bardugo (double proof). I'm about 100 pages into S&S. Absolutely loved S&B. :) S&S releases by Hachette (Indigo) in Australia 26/06/2013.



My birthday!!!

I asked for these books but it didn't lessen my euphoria at seeing feeling smelling them.

Pretty!

A couple of years ago I BookMooched an older copy of Matilda in the style of my other Roald Dahl books. But guys, this new hardcover was too lovely to pass up. It's clothbound, and in a nice, compact size that could easily fit in a handbag.

I read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck for English class (gr.9?) and I just knew that I'd one day re-read it. And I already have. And it's just as I'd remembered. I honestly can't even tell you why that story has such a hold on me... maybe the same part of me that loves The Great Gatsby. Anyway, next month I'm planning on reading The Pearl next. After I get through all these I'll tackle his bigger novels (East of Eden!). Also, deckled edges!

Bought

Click to embiggen.


All bought via TheBookDepo except Do Androids..., which was acquired through AbeBooks. I'm not happy with the condition of this one. It smells. So. Bad. I can't get a refund because the seller isn't around anymore. I'll be getting this one eventually. I've read about a quarter of the poems. Tabbed some of my favourites. :P These photos aren't to scale. It's actually a really tiny book. So yeah, you can see I got a lot of "classic dystopia". Will be reading Animal Farm next month. And of course I've already read Shades of Earth. I tore into that sucker as soon as I got it. And loved it. Review to come. It's my first finished series so this review needs to be special.

And the Animal Farm/1984 edition is so lovely. I rarely indulge in hardcovers but I couldn't resist! I intend to do reviews for classics I read. Just haven't yet figured out what I'm going to do exactly.



Q: Thoughts on book buying bans?

I just watched a video on how readers who buy too many books they never end up reading (ArielBissett). Since I discovered online venues such as AllBooks4Less, Booktopia and BasementBooks (which I also visit) the amount of books I buy has shot right up. And yes, pretty much ALL of those books that I get at bargain prices I have never actually read. Actually... ashamedly I must admit I have read none of them. At all. That's pathetic. So that's on bargain books.

I'm definitely better with preorder books. Half the time I do pick the book up straight away if I'm that excited that I just had to preorder. But, phew. Guys, I have more unread books than read books in my room. A quarter of those are review books, half of which were unsolicited (to lessen my guilt). Bleh. The weight of all these unread books is crushing my spirits. And yet, I still want more.

February is usually the month I am really liberal with my book buying habits (birthday & CNY), same with November (surviving uni and exams reward). I think buying bans are good for some, but I'm weak. :|


Happy reading everybody! Comment below.
Share with me what books you got! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails