Friday, July 16, 2010

[Review] The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope by Elizabeth Isaacs

Review - The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope by Elizabeth Isaacs
Thanks to Elizabeth Isaacs for a review e-book!

Title: The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope

Author: Elizabeth Isaacs
Genre: Fantasy, romance, adventure, action
Ages: YA- 14+, there are some sexual scenes, but no language

Blurb from Goodreads: If Nora Johnson hadn't been on campus that day she would have never known her true destiny. Helping her friends move into the dorm that she wanted to call home, Nora accidentally collides with mysterious stranger, Gavin Frey. His very first touch sends flames through her heart. The world seems different-something within her has changed... [continued]

Thoughts: I asked for a review copy from Elizabeth Isaacs upon reading a post from her on Goodreads (she wanted reviewers), and at first I was a bit hesitant. Would I enjoy this read? However, the little reviews out there persuaded me to push forward and ask, and I am SO glad that I did, because had I not done so, I would never have found this treasure.

It is beautifully written, and from the first page, Isaac's eloquent and sophisticated language and form is prominent, though still very much YA. [example] At 380~ pages, this is not a quick read, but was a rewarding one. Not often have I felt like I was truly in there with the characters, in the setting, a bystander to the events that unfolded. However, the immaculate use of description did not throw me away from the plot. The storyline was at times very conversation-driven, lots of dialogue. At others, there was great action, and at at least two times during the novel, my eyes were welling up as I read. I was brought to really CARE for the characters. Each of them were different, and I couldn't help feeling the emotions that Nora felt as her narration followed through these events.

The Light of Asteria really needs more recognition, and to the very few reviews I have read out there, I thank you for bringing me to reading this lovely novel. The Light of Asteria is the first of a series. I'd assume the second one will be releasing in 2011. I will be readily awaiting Isaac's second book, and I have no doubt that it will be just as mystical and enchanting and, well, out of this world. Highly recommended.

Last thing. Why it DIDN't get 5/5. There were one or two rough patches where I put the e-book down and didn't feel like reading it until a few hours later. It wasn't because of a fault in the writing, just the pacing of that part was a bit slow. Most books have that, though, and that's why 5/5s don't get handed out often/at all. :P



You can buy "The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope" (PB) at Amazon or Book Depository. It released March 22nd 2010! Also, check out her website! Kailmeyra.com, blog, and follow her on twitter if you must (@kailmeyra) Also, if you're reading this Elizabeth, consider coming to Australia sometime! I'd love for you to sign my metaphorical book! (I will definitely be buying a copy, even with my poor student-y funds)

4 comments:

brandileigh2003 said... [Reply]

Great review-- this one is in the mail and I can't wait to read it.

Cass said... [Reply]

@brandileigh2003 Enjoy! I wish to buy my own copy sometime soon. I wish I could get a signed copy & swag. That would be great! :) I can't wait for her next one in the series/sequel.

brandileigh2003 said... [Reply]

I actually won a signed copy!! It is awesome. I have been telling everyone to readthis!

brandileigh2003 said... [Reply]

Also- just curious where you found the call for reviewers. I want to check it out and see if I can help some other lesser known authors

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails