Thursday, May 17, 2012

[Review] A Million Suns (#2) by Beth Revis

(#2, Across the Universe)
Across the Universe | A Million Suns

Author: Beth Revis
Publication (dd/mm/yyyy): 10/01/2012
Publisher: Penguin (Razobill)
Pages: 385
Source: Bought
Violence | Sexual Content | Profanity

My Rating:
Perfection!
Summary (Spoilers if you have not read Across the Universe):
Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.
My thoughts:


The story continues with A Million Suns! There are even more secrets that are brought to the fore - all of them shocking and will leave you wanting more. Revis continues to encapsulate perfectly the stifling environment of Godspeed, but it is even more amplified due to the new leadership. Elder is now the Eldest of the ship and he has taken all the ship's inhabitants off the med patches that controlled them, which means that the people now see all that they'd been blind to previously, like Amy and her red hair, as well as the now-uselessness of the Eldest system...



I don't know what it is, but it's so easy to slip right into Revis' books and forget the world around me. One second I'll be on the first page and before I've even realised, I'm halfway through. I have yet to read a disappointing sequel to a book and this is no exception! I just could not put this book down!

This second installment in the trilogy is part mystery, part romance, part suspense and wonder and fear. This series is so very plot-driven and once again uses the secrets and mysteries to propel the story forward. The characters are just likeable enough for me - while they aren't terribly realistic, it's okay for me in this kind of story. Likewise with the romance between Elder and Amy, it just doesn't feel fully fleshed out. However, you'll find yourself much more invested in knowing what the heck is going on with the ship.

And the ending has me excited for the thrilling conclusion to this trilogy! If you've read Across the Universe your curiosity to read on should be enough to convince you to pick this book up! It's perfect escapism.

(Sorry for the short review. It's been so long since I've read this and I didn't make notes AT ALL. I know, it's enough to make your hair stand on end, right?)

Quotes:

First lines: "'This isn't going to be easy,' I mutter, staring at the solid metal door that leads to the Engine Room on the Shipper Level of Godspeed. In the dull reflection, I see Eldest's dark eyes, just before he died. I see the smirk on the corner of Orion's mouth as he relished in Eldest's death. Somewhere, beneath my cloned features and the echoes of every Eldest before me, there has to be something in me that's mine alone, unique and not found in the cloning material two levels beneath my feet."

Favourites:

Follow me down the rabbit hole.'Curiouser and curiouser,' I say.
(p. 92)
Buy:

AUSTRALIA: Fishpond

INTERNATIONAL: Amazon || The Book Depository



I have received this review copy in return for an honest review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails