Friday, April 8, 2011

[Review] Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Paperback Edition
Title: Prophecy of the Sisters
Author: Michelle Zink
Publication: 2009
Publisher: Little Brown
Source: Won
Age: 14+ (dark themes)
Pages: 340

My Rating:

Summary:
In Michelle Zink's debut novel, orphaned twin sister Lia and Alice Milthorpe are yoked together in an ancient prophecy that makes them enemies and could destroy them both. If Lia can break this familial curse, she can not only save her relationship with her beloved boyfriend; she can finally resolve the mystery behind her parents' death. A teen author to watch.
My thoughts: 

Prophecy of the Sisters takes on the paranormal genre in a different sense than I've previously been privy to. A few weeks ago I pledged to read a paranormal read, to break the contemps and historical chain I'd been operating on for a long time. I knew I'd have enjoy reading Prophecy of the Sisters, but this book has definitely given me faith that I have the potential to enjoy the paranormal genre.

An ancient prophecy that has been passed from generation to generation, time and time again separating destined sisters from birth. Enshrouded in mystery and with a dark mystique that will draw even the most reluctant paranormal reader in to continue flipping the pages. A stunning debut. Strong in all aspects, especially in impact and writing. I found myself constantly awed by Zink's expertise in writing as she weaved mystery, one after another, right up to the end that is all of the following: satisfying, hopeful, terrifying, full of intrigue and adventure, and will no doubt bring people to read on to the next installment of this series.

Plus, how pretty is the cover? I actually like both the paperback and hardcover editions, but I've always felt a little more particular to this version posted above. Perhaps it's the stark constrast shown on both the girls' faces. Or the actual texture of the book cover. I've always loved the blue eyes, green eyes thing that is seen on this cover, and it is actually IN THE BOOK! I love when models that have been plastered on a cover actually could be the characters.

I was definitely amazed by how engrossed I was by this book, and have every intention to read GUARDIAN OF THE GATE. I recommend this to ANYONE. However, be prepared to sludge through a few slow moments in the book: as with any mystery case, there are some dull spots where it seems as though nothing is moving forward. But it is really good, and has the right mix of things that YA readers would surely have interest in. What I think will enchant readers (and even non-paranormal YA fans) is the characters that are familiar, yet original and portrayed with an adequate amount of realism, for a paranormal. There is also a form of haunting regal-ness that really captured me.

Sorry for the suckalicious review. You might notice I put in less effort for books that weren't sent from a publisher for review.

Quotes:

First Lines

"Perhaps because it seems so appropriate, I don't notice the rain."



Buy:

Live in Australia?

Live elsewhere?
Amazon | The Book Depository


Links:

Official Site
Goodreads Page


I have received this review copy in return for an honest review.

Challenge: --
Related Posts with Thumbnails