Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (20): Double YA Edition!

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.












This one isn't a new title, as is evident in release date noted. However, it is a title that I'm very excited about and wish others could pick it up and read it too.

Title: What I Saw and How I Lied
{goodreads}
Author: Judy Blundell
Release Date: November 1st 2008
Publisher: Scholastic Press

Why am I waiting on this?
I love under-appreciated titles like this one. I'd been waiting to win it from Secondhand Saturday at Kelsey Sutton's blog, but it seems she's pulled the plug on her feature, so I went ahead and finally bought myself a copy. I've been wanting to read this one for so long.

I imagine that this is going to be an intelligent read full of provocative characters that are well-developed and explored with extraordinary realism; thought-provoking, mysterious and addictive. It's set after WWII, so I'm sure there's going to be a lot of insight as to the after-effects, which always seem interesting to me.

Synopsis (Goodreads):


In 1947, with her jovial stepfather Joe back from the war and family life returning to normal, teenage Evie, smitten by the handsome young ex-GI who seems to have a secret hold on Joe, finds herself caught in a complicated web of lies whose devastating outcome change her life and that of her family forever.

Reviews:

On Goodreads

Misha rated it 4 stars:

"I don't understand why this book is not more known. What I saw and How I Lied is a very well-written book that lingered on my mind a long time after I had finished reading it. "

Heidi R. Kling, author of Sea, rated in 5 stars:

"Beautifully written and crafted, this historical mystery was as close to perfect as books come . . . not a word out of place."

On Blogs

Persnickety Snark []

"...a thought provoking and compelling read."

Lorraine Zago Rosenthal, author of Other Words For Love []

- "...a fantastic and unique YA novel—a beautifully written coming-of-age, glamorous, and engaging 1940s noir story."
- "There were so many things I loved about this novel that I could go on and on."
- "I highly recommend this novel."

Steph Su Reads []

"...by no means perfect, but it’s a good read if you’re looking for a historical suspense coming-of-age story."

The Compulsive Reader []

"...a gripping, galvanizing read that perfectly portrays one girl's struggles and insecurities amidst the post-war anxieties and hopes and the United States, and the glamour of the 1940'. Evie's character is intensely likable, and readers will be able to identify with her dreams, her crushes, and her impatience at being stifled by her beautiful and alluring mother. Blundell's writing is excellent; it is tight and descriptive, but moves briskly, making What I Saw and How I Lied very readable."

Links:

Judy Blundell's Official Site





I just saw the trailer for this one, and despite already really being excited about this one, I wanted to feature it.


Title: Clarity {goodreads}
Author: Kim Harrington
Release Date: March 1 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Point


Why is this in my top-wishlist?
Mysteries are so delicious! This one mixes paranormal elements with contemporary under a mystery/thriller twist. It's definitely going to be amazing, if all cards are played are correctly.

Synopsis (Goodreads):


When you cansee things others can't, where do you look for the truth?

This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?





Thanks for visiting my weekly WoW post. ♥ Comment with your WoW post and I'll check it out. ;)


What are you waiting on this week?


Related Posts with Thumbnails