Sunday, July 17, 2011

In My Mailbox (38-41): Another month of mail!


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi of The Story Siren, and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie! Participants are required to tell all about what they've received in the mail--anything bookish!

~~~~~

Another monthly IMM. After this one I'm hoping to do one every fortnight. *sigh* I forewarn you that next IMM will have another terrible number of review copies. >_< I feel like I've been reading so much lately but I just can't get rid of them fast enough. I've added more and more books in swap, and for future giveaways. ;)

Ahem.

Continue! :D


* All release dates go in the format (dd/mm/yy)

* Any books I have already read will have a sort of mini-review and the rating I have given it up now until written.

* = Up for swap

For Review:

Thank you guys (you know who you are!) for the review copies!




Top row

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan [ARC]
(07/10/11, 310 pp., Pan Macmillan, RRP $19.99 - accepted)
The whole cover is amazing. The front features the girl in the story with her eyes closed, and at the back is the guy, whose eyes are ominously reflecting a moon or something - it's either just a trick of the light, or there's something strange going on with him. Cannot wait to read this!!

Middle row

Entangled by Cat Clarke
(13/03/11, 370 pp., Pan Macmillan, RRP $16.99 - requested)
My review to publish 25/07. "ENTANGLED is quite an unusual book . . . . Even now, the book is just buzzing in my brain so strongly that it's going to be difficult to get to sleep tonight . . . Clarke's debut is startlingly realistic."

The Cardturner by Louis Sachar
(01/08/11, 300 pp., Bloomsbury, RRP $15.99 - requested)
My review to publish 01/08. "I really love how Sachar combined his love of bridge with his love of writing a good story. His knowledge of the game/sport is really something. I got lost in most of the bridge talk but even so the book has built an interest in me to play and learn more about bridge."

Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers
(13/03/11, 230 pp., Pan Macmillan, RRP $16.99 - requested)
Courtney Summers! This will be my first book by her. I kind of know what to expect, I just hope it doesn't disappoint.

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini *reading now*

(03/06/11, 510 pp., Pan Macmillan, RRP $16.99 - requested)
This is the Australian cover. I still prefer the US version. I will be giving this away in the future, because I won a copy . . . which you will see if you SCROLL DOWN! :D

The Karma Club by Jessica Brody *reading now*

(27/06/11, 270 pp., Pan Macmillan, RRP $16.95 - requested)
I'm not sure why this cover bugs me so much more than the US original. Both versions reveal as much about the book as each other. Strangely, I do like the spine. It looks good on a shelf. ;)

Bottom row

Siren's Storm by Lisa Papademetriou
(01/08/11, 260 pp., Random House, RRP $18.95 - requested)
I don't know why but just looking at the cover excites me. I love the idea of sirens though I do believe the general plot might be a bit played out. Hopefully Papademetriou has spun it around a bit.


Days Like This by Alison Stewart
(01/06/11, 430 pp., HarperCollins, RRP $24.99 - unsolicited)
Australian dystopia! Don't think any reviews of this has popped up just yet, but I'll be reading this really soon. Read what Between the Lines said for 123 Excited week!

Only Ever Always by Penni Russon
(01/08/11, 180 pp., Allen & Unwin, RRP $16.99 - unsolicited)
I read the first page and I had no idea what was happening. I'll pick it up later when I can focus all my attention on it, haha. The story sounds cute enough though, just read the Goodreads synopsis.

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
(01/06/11, 340 pp., Simon & Schuster, RRP $16.99 - unsolicited)
I'm still swooning over the cover! I have the US hardcover and this cover easily tops that one. In fact, I will swap the US HC out to anyone in Australia. :) Look, there's a bear on this cover!! 

BEST UK COVER OF THE YEAR.

Bought:



A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young
Review. "A heartbreaking portrayal of what it means to sacrifice your all for the ones you love . . .  the pages flick by easily, not one scene or moment is forgettable."


Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren SumaI don't think I've ever been more scared in my life. This book won't live up to the hype! Aah I'll be one of the people who don't understand half of what's going on. At least the cover is pretty.


Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott


Squee!! I can't wait to read this ASAP! I still think the pink text would've been aesthetically better, though I can see how red might bear a bigger significance to the book. Watch the trailer!
 
Somebody Everybody Listens To by Suzanne Supplee


My review to publish 26/07. "A fun, quick read that may inspire people to follow their dreams; if things go wrong, imagine how interesting the story leading up your Big Break will be!"

Balefire Omnibus by Cate Tiernan
A friend recommended this series to me, so when the chance arose to get 4 books for the price of 1, I just had to take it! I quite like the cover too.

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June by Robin Benway

How much fun does this book look? I wonder what these secrets are . . . .

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley
Oh, the trailer for this book is really cute. I'm not much for books that are set in the west, but it just looked too cute to pass by. Also I really do like that trailer. :P Just saying.

This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas (sorry - I actually won this. Thanks Lillie!)
The original cover is so dark! This one brings that atmosphere into a brighter light. Now I actually know what it's about. I'm a bit unsure, but if it's a powerful book, I'm there.

Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2) by Michelle Zink
I loved Prophecy of the Sisters so much. I've never reviewed a sequel before so I'm a bit unsure how to go about reviewing it when I do read it. I assure you I will be reading this before the year is over. Haha. I thank the people who voted for this book for my Paranormal Poll a couple of months ago.











So excited for these. Especially for Shadows on the Moon, Imaginary Girls, This Gorgeous Game, and Guardian of the Gate. Gorgeous covers all around!

Total: $I'm not telling. I'm also a bit huffy that I didn't snag any local bargains...


Won:



Book in the middle is an Adult A&U ARC thingy.

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini *reading now*
Class of 2K11 bookmarks and swag


Swapped:

---


Swag:




Images above in Won.


See that Book Depository stack in the right corner? Those are all the ones I could manage to find in a couple minutes, there might be a few in hiding. I received 2 (I think) this month.


Netgalley / Galley Grab:


Netgalley

The Way We Fall
Ditched
The Mephisto Covenant
The Beginning of After (!)
The Name of the Star (!)
Tris and Izzy
Cold Kiss
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (!)
A Beautiful Dark


Gah! I'm so lazy!! Sorry, but you're on your own. Go look for the titles yourself. ;(

Galley Grab


---


Q: Be honest, do you actually read my little comments I make with every book?

I promise I won't take offence!
Any of them?






Happy Reading! Comment with your IMM links!! :D

~~~


Since last IMM...4 weeks/1 month ago




Related Posts with Thumbnails