Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (2)

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

For my first WOW meme, I am swooning over Crossing the Tracks by Barbara Stuber, which released July 6th! So, it's already released...

Interested? Read on!


Why I'm Waiting on Crossing the Tracks
I love love love the cover and trailer! I think this book centralises ideas and settings and characters that have been so neglected in YA, so I'm interested to see how Stuber did with dealing with something that is different. Plus, the reviews I have read of her debut novel (Crossing the Tracks) were all positive, with praises of writing style, character development... One person: "I just like the sound of it. Can’t explain it."-- which echoes my thoughts exactly. :)


Blurb (from Goodreads):
At fifteen, Iris is a hobo of sorts – no home, no family, no plan. After her mother’s early death, Iris’s father focuses on big plans for his new shoe stores and his latest girlfriend, and has no time for his daughter. Unbeknownst to her, he hires Iris out as housekeeper and companion for a country doctor’s elderly mother. Suddenly Iris is alone, stuck in gritty rural Missouri, too far from her only friend Leroy and too close to a tenant farmer Cecil Deets, who menaces the neighbors, and Iris suspects, his own daughter.

Iris is buoyed by the warmth and understanding the doctor and his mother show her, but just as she starts to break out of her shell tragedy strikes. Iris must find the guts and cunning to take aim at the devil incarnate and discover if she is really as helpless - or hopeless – or homeless - as she once believed.



I hope that more people will see this title and be interested, or, like me, be strangely drawn to it. I just really like how it sounds, and it's been noted that it's "beautifully written". There is a preview here, also apparently personalised copies. I'm going to e-mail her about that, because I'd love a signed copy! :D

13 comments:

Mystica said... [Reply]

Sounds very good. Thank you for highlighting this book.

Dwayne said... [Reply]

This sounds like a harsh, reality book - great pick!

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Great cover!

Jenna JL said... [Reply]

Good pick! I like the trailer too.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

-JL
An Avid Reader's Musings

Jill said... [Reply]

This one's going on my list...so glad you're participating!!

Laurel-Rain Snow said... [Reply]

I like the sound of this one! In our search for "fantasy," we sometimes overlook the unforgettable books that spotlight gritty realities.

Thanks for sharing.

Here's mine:

http://chezraine.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/waiting-on-wednesday-18/

Alayne said... [Reply]

Mmm sounds really intriguing. My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

Shelly B said... [Reply]

Great pick! I hadn't seen or heard of this one before. It may be going on my mounting wish list!

Aimee said... [Reply]

This sounds like an intense read. It looks good. Thanks for sharing! My WoW is here

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said... [Reply]

I think this sounds like an intense and fabulously gritty read! I would definitely read this one! Thanks for stopping by on my blog :)

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Ohhh, this looks great - am definitely adding it to my to-read list!

And thanks for stopping by my WOW

Aleksandra said... [Reply]

Sounds really interesting! Great choice!

Erica said... [Reply]

This one sounds really interesting!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails