Saturday, August 7, 2010

[Review] Matilda by Roald Dahl

I know that this is a definite childrens book, but I never claimed by blog would focus entirely on YA reads, since I do have a handful of general fiction and have even posted a few reviews of them up here.

Title: Matilda
Author: Roald Dahl
Publication: 1988 (Puffin, 1989)
Publisher: Puffin Books
Review Copy: Paperback
Pages: 240~

Goodreads description:   
Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

My thoughts: I have a feeling that my rating may be based on bias, however I really enjoyed re-living the joy that is Matilda. This was the first time I read the book version of what I remember "Matilda" as is the movie. There were some extra details, like thoughts and further insight which hadn't, couldn't have been portrayed as clearly in the movie. However, there were some moments that weren't in the book that appeared in the movie, and that obviously was bound to happen.

Roald Dahl is a wonderful storyteller, and I loved how he focused on Matilda as more of an intelligible genius, rather than someone who was frustrated with her family matters. (the supposed source of her power as is conveyed in the movie) I enjoyed the whimsical, messy style of the illustrator's pictures that went along with the story. Definitely a trademark Dahl feature. :)

I am a huge Dahl fan, and though he is gone, and was a predominantly childrens book author, his books and storytelling will forever remain in my mind and heart. I know I'm not the only one.


Rating: 
4.5/5

I found this image on Google while I was looking for the image of Matilda. I think that's fabulous! I love how it's also in colour! :D Props to the person who promised never to let go of the joys that Mailda and more importantly, Roald Dahl, brought. It also looks like it hurt.

If you have shown any love for Matilda, or found any funky pics/videos celebrating Matilda or Roald Dahl, please DO share! :D

3 comments:

Iris on Books said... [Reply]

I loved Matilda as a child. I think it is a shame you saw the movie before the book. I personally like the book so much better!

Anonymous said... [Reply]

That's commitment! I loved Matilda as a kid! :) Great blog! :)

athanasia-d said... [Reply]

matilda !
i never read the book, in fact i didn't know there was a book! i have seen the movie though and i loved it! so now i think i'm going for the book too. i know it's a childrens book but that's ok, there are some books that you can read nomatter how old are you..

as for the tatoo, i agree it looks like it hurts!
it's so cute though...

=)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails