Tuesday, August 31, 2010

[Review] Shug by Jenny Han


Title: Shug
Author: Jenny Han
Publication: 2006
Publisher:Simon & Schuster
Review Copy: Paperback (UK), bought
Pages: 248
My Rating:

Blurb:  
Annemarie 'Shug' Wilcox is beginning to think there's nothing worse than being twelve. Her friends are growing up all around her, and she's just not ready.
She's been best mates with Mark for as long as she can remember, and now, for no particular reason, she's fallen in love with him. But Mark's much more interested in gawping at Shug's curvaceous elder sister.

 My thoughts: Shug is charming, funny, unique yet familiar; and just all-round a worth-while read. Remember any worries you had when you were in that awkward stage: growing up and having to let go of your childhood, losing friends.

The characters, as a whole, are enjoyable to read about and follow through the story.  The 'love' story and arc are so so so adorable. It brought back memories to when I had to go through all those tribulations, myself. I found the end was satisfying, and left me on a good note. I kind of wish there was some sort of sequel, though...

Just, read it!


This is such a short review because, well, I've already expressed all I wanted to... and this isn't completely fresh on my mind as I type this review. (I've already read the next book, Girl Parts; you can read my review on Saturday!)


Similar reads: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli


Amazon | The Book Depository | Borders

Learn more about Shug and read more reviews at Goodreads!
Shug is Jenny Han's debut novel.

6 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said... [Reply]

I've never heard of this one, but it definitely sounds fun and sweet...great review :)

Anonymous said... [Reply]

I love Jenny Han's The Summer I Turned Pretty novels and really need to read this one.

Nomes said... [Reply]

this book sounds really cool. i've got it on my list - I loved the summer i turned pretty so i already know i love her writing style.

x

Audrey said... [Reply]

How can you be in love at the age of 12? Puppy love maybe? LOL
Have you thought of joining Teaser Tuesday? The blog that started it all is here:
http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/

Sharon K. Mayhew said... [Reply]

I love that you gave a book in the same vein. Nice job! :)

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said... [Reply]

This is also the first time I've heard of this book and author. Will be checking out some of Jenny's work - this one sounds like such a sweet read :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails